Pages

Saturday, 3 October 2026

Dai Koelakanth - Dead End Bingo Dry as a Bone.

Dai Koelakanth – Dead End Bingo Dry as a Bone. – CDr/Download – Burselm Crypt Recordings – 2026

https://burselmcryptrecordings.bandcamp.com

https://dkoelakanth,neocities.org

1.      Dead End Bingo Dry as a Bone


The sub-heading of this review shall be ‘the Stoke On Trent sonic Apocalypse.’ That title could even function as the whole review because I feel as if I have reached a weird, unexplored no mans land of experimental music here. Stoke On Trent is where Discharge are from, Discharge was the band that made all the other well known UK82 Hardcore Punk bands look like soft rock poseurs. I drive through there on my way to Wales every month, I love Stoke On Trent.

The cover artwork of this release looks somewhere between the work of Cy Twombly and Sigmar Polke (think of his work the Great Bitching Sheet or the Large Cloth of Abuse) so I feel I am in good visual company here.  The artwork works well with the sounds, conceptualising it very well. You have to listen to the work and look at the cover to feel the complete picture. I'd suggest getting the Cdr of this for the full effect.

Screwed up, warped chanting and voices overlay each other, multiple dialogues and chants are going off at me. The sound is chopped into so it becomes a rhythm that hits you for a short time. It keeps moving and changing, becoming echo heavy with samples on rapid repeat before the same is done with another voice. I have heard some abstract dialogue work on other labels and often can't stand it, but this is done to very good effect as it is just the right high level of indecipherable, forcing it to be sonically interesting, so it functions as noise. Bits of cohesive dialogue also serve as  little subheadings at different parts of the work.  An old school Industrial friend came back in recent years and mentioned wanting to use voice more, so I just pointed him to this as a good example of how to do it.

Noise is thrown into the mix cutting into the work, sometimes the vocals are slowed down or speeded up so they become the noise, screeching through the sound or acting as the base. I feel radios are used as if switching from station to station sampling broadcasts to present culture as cut up reports within the work. Instrumental samples are frequently dropped into the mix with the performed dialogue.  

Dai Koelakanth turned up at my house as I was a bit late doing this review, he currently is sitting beside me, armed with blades and a nailed baseball bat club while I type. I'd argue that this is a maverick voice pushing the noise boat out way beyond what exists inside my head out.  Definitely buy it.

Dai, I have done the review, can you please go now?

ZG 2026

 

 

No comments: