Pages

Friday 19 August 2022

The Night Soil Men – The Transmission Tape Recordings

 

The Night Soil Men – The Transmission Tape Recordings – 2022 – CDR.

https://www.discogs.com/label/450192-Blue-Spectrum-Tapes  



This is an anonymous 11 track disc that landed through my doorstep this morning. I say thanks to the mysterious disc sender, I admire anyone that will send me a disc and not expect an Mpfree review. Tearing the label off for recycling reveals it is from Birmingham. Birmingham and I have a strange spiritual connection being from Coventry and having a bleak Goth past there (92-93, Death Cultures at the Hummingbird, the Institute and the Mercat pub).

My boombox gives off lots of unidentifiable crackle and rumble, the levels vary across each track, I feel that I am somewhere that I don’t know and never will. A female vocal sample comes in as if reporting from another time. I can’t make out what’s been said as it is a slightly muffled field recording, I feel transported into the listener’s past through their VHS collection. Rumble and crackle return to take me elsewhere for a time. When the sample of a female narrator returns, I feel as if I am being told a story as the voice is warped, I can’t make it out, but it feels cosy. Passages of distortion return, crackling away as if struggling to stay on the recording, feedback pins it all down. At times the distortion is tied in with recordings of conversations or noise of the surrounding environment, offering a brief lucidity that fades as the distortion covers what is happening. The feel of being haunted appears in the later part of the recording, making it feel as ghostly.  Music at the end does all the things I described in one.

Sometimes, to be sent somewhere else recording is a treat, experiments that function to push us to other places are unexpected surprises.

Army of One @ Coventry Soul 2022.

No comments: