Pages

Monday 30 January 2023

Inner Demons #18

 

Inner Demons #18

https://innerdemonsrecords.bandcamp.com/

This Is What I Hear When You Talk – I Already Made Two for Brett, So This One’s For Xenon – [IND20] – 3” CDR/Download – 2022.

https://innerdemonsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/i-already-made-two-for-brett-so-this-ones-for-xenon-ind120

https://thirtyfive.bandcamp.com/

     1.    I

     2.    II

     3.    III

     4.    IV

Image From Inner Demons Bandcamp, artwork by Dan Fox.

The mysteriously themed I Already Made Two for Brett, So This One’s for Xenon is four separate passages of noise that are locked around a series of different synthesiser drones. As a fan of this project and electronic droning sounds in general, this release piqued my interest as soon as I pressed play. Slightly glitchy noise and oscillating drones combine to make I. Waves of hissing distortion and squeaking feedback become prominent in the second part dominating the main drone. Later in the track, the Synth drones feel like distant chanting.

III is spacious, the backing noises form a bigger space as they drift in and out of each other. Scraping, hollow sounds scream through the work – in true This Is What I Hear When You Talk fashion, the difficult, challenging aspect of the work is now in full flow. The sound becomes increasingly assaultive as III progresses. By the time we get to IV the work is an apocalyptic eruption that combines ambient drones, buried vocal sounds and some unexplainable rhythmic pulsations. It sounds as if the end is nigh.

I am always keen to hear anything Dan Fox does through This Is What I Hear When You Talk, that always challenges the listener and this bleak release does that. In fact, I love it, excellent release and thank you.

Euphoric Bullshit Vibe, surfing the waves of my own isolation 2023.

No comments: